For almost 100 years of shared ministry, the United Churches of Olympia, comprised of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and the United Church of Christ, has been a model of what can happen when two distinctive traditions enrich each other in ministry. Dedicated to “a life of faith in Jesus Christ and devotion to His ideals,” the United Churches has sought to strengthen our commitment to the faith, which we proclaim and serve.
Started in July of 1854 the Presbyterian Church in Olympia, WA is the oldest Presbyterian congregation in the Synod of Alaska-Northwest. In April of 1873 the First Congregational Church was organized, and would later become the United Church of Christ. In 1914 a committee was authorized to consider a number of Olympia congregations joining together in shared ministry and building space, however, serious conversations only resulted between the Presbyterians and Congregationalists. On December 6,1916 the Olympia Presbyterian Church and the Olympia First Congregational Church joined in federated ministry. In 1941 plans were completed for the building of a new church on the 11th and Capitol Way site but were set aside when World War II broke out. Following a devastating earthquake in 1949, building of the present building began in 1951, with the sanctuary dedicated in 1955.
In 2016 we are excited to celebrate the 100th anniversary of our joint congregation and ministry!